From: S11001001
Subject: >DotGNU goal? (was Re: [DotGNU]Where can I learn about DotGNU vs Mono)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 18:42:15 -0600

Gopal.V wrote:
We have all sorts of work -- we're not just limited to C#. DotGNU is a very large project . Pnet is just what we have in
common to Mono. What we do is "replace" .NET . One of our steps
is "providing a free C# development environment" , it is a means
and not an end (unlike Mono).

BTW, I had a look at the sample chapter of the long-delayed `C# in a Nutshell'. It gave a stat just to put things in perspective.

ECMA: ~220 classes
MS:  >3400 classes

Now, I realise that #of classes isn't a proper way of measuring code, but it is still an issue. Is "backward compatibility w/ MS" really a good goal for the project?

Oh, and I'm going to have to try and get coding faster....;)

Also, I would like a resource for the beginnings of the class library expansion. I am hoping for a not-so-MS solution, as the reason I added doc to the tasklist is because I would have rather learned C# from a GNUish source.

In fact, I should just mention this now...what will be needed is a C# tutorial with a bent towards FS and Pnet.

--
Be warned that typing \fBkillall \fIname\fP may not have the desired
effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user.