Re: [DotGNU]To What Degree Jabber?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]To What Degree Jabber?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:50:02 +0200

Adam Theo <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'd like to ask everyone to what degree they think Jabber should be
> adopted by DotGNU?

If we adopt it at all (and yes, I'm all in favor of that:), then
I think that we should use it for everything where it makes
sense to use it.  In particular, it should then be the default
for all communication between DotGNU components on different
machines.

At the same time, DotGNU servers and applications should also
make all their functionality available through XML-RPC and/or
SOAP, for purposes of easy interoperation with programs on
webservice platforms that may not support Jabber, and to have
a robust way of accessing this functionality which will not
be affected by changes to the Jabber protocol (after all, the
idea is to use jabber:middleware, which is not in final form
yet.)

As a first step (after making the strategy decision to endorse
Jabber), a webservices+middleware protocols lib should be created
which will give the a programmer a single API for making or
decoding requests that are made in any of these protocols.

Greetings, Norbert.