Re: [DotGNU]Re: Common Public License

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Common Public License
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:05:02 +0200

> To be a bit more accurate, the IBM Common Public License is
> a free license which is incompatible with the GPL.  However the FSF
> doesn't see anything wrong with the incompatabilities.

It may be true that there is nothing ethically wrong with
those incompatibilitites, but the fact remains that the DotGNU
project is committed to avoiding any dependencies which are not
Free Software with GPL-compatible licensing.

BTW if we're seriouly interested in using some free software
with GPL-incompatible licensing, there is always a chance that
the concerned copyright holders might be agreeable to a license
change.  For example, the copyright holders of JOSS, free Jabber
server, have kindly responded to this request from DotGNU, and
have changed the licensing of JOSS from the GPL-incompatible
JOSL to ( JOSL || GPL ) disjunctive licensing.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com