[DotGNU]Re: Open-Source Movement's GPL

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: Open-Source Movement's GPL
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:26:55 -0600 (MDT)

    The problem is GPL is thought by a majority just as a popular
    open-source license that is listed at the "opensource.org".
    The links to ethics and freedom has been totally lost. FSF should
    ask opensource.org to clearly distinguish GPL at its site, from
    only-open-source licenses, giving credit to its Freedom aspects.

I wish they would, but it is useful for them to keep us and our views
in the background.  Eric Raymond sometimes goes so far as to insist
that we are all part of the Open Source Movement whether we agree
with it or not.

I suggest that you tell Vladislavs Hveckovics this:

    RMS is Richard Stallman, author of the GPL.
    The GPL is part of the Free Software Movement;
    the Open Source Movement came along a decade later.
    Without ever actually saying that they had developed the
    GPL, they spread the impression that it was their work,
    and they have misled many people.

    Instead of spreading the error, could you help correct it?
    You could do this by describing the GPL
    as a free software license, and making a link to
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.