Re: [DotGNU]Re: Concept: Forum

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Concept: Forum
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:50:33 -0400

Having authored BBS software some 20 years ago, I find this both ammusing and interesting. I think it's generally a great idea.

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Btw, as a person who cut his teeth on BBSes - I think that this is a
wonderful idea.  I might even call it a killer app.

        -Barry

Silvernerd wrote:

Hi folks,

it has been a while since I submitted my original proposal, so I thought
it might be useful to submit a revision. As you can see the package list
has changed, I'm currently bringing my idea's in sync with Jabber
reality and discovered that the Jabberside of the server is almost
completely handled by Jabber itself so that I can remove the server
division. Also the ForumPlans have disappeared because it is a too small
part of the project to give an own package, the ForumPlans will the
included in another package.

The other major change in this proposal is my indication that I am
willing to lead this project (in cooperation). I believe the best way to
find the other admin is to get the project on the road and then see who
can do the job.

I also like to officially state that I'm applying Forum to become part
of the GNU project and officially part of the DotGNU project.

--- PROPOSAL ---

* Subject Line: [Project-proposal]<Revised>DotGNU Forum System

* This Proposal is For a New:

        [x] DotGNU software development project

                Project name: DotGNU Forum System

                Packages in this project: Client, Server, ForumApps

        [ ] Other
                List here:

* Essential Resources:

        [ ] Mailing lists
                Mailing list names:

                Mailing list descriptions:

        [ ] Website resources
        [ ] Savannah location and space
                Savannah username:

                Savannah Project Name:

        [ ] Other
                List here:

* Are you willing to lead this project?:

        [x] Yes  (In cooperation when possible, in a way that I start
the project alone and the other admin                     gets picked
later when the project is on the road and we have an idea who can do the
job)
        [ ] No

DotGNU Forum System or simply Forum is a system for inter-human
communication over the net.
It works with forums, virtual places, where people come to, meet each
other and work on a task. Forum is the integration of various existing
technologies such as IRC, IM, FTP, HTTP, BBS, USENET and others. Forums
are extensible so that a forum can have a voice-over-IP chatbox instead
of a text chatbox (when Jabber supports voice-over-IP). Forums could be
used for education, discussion, chatting or anything else.
Forum will use Jabber as it's primary communication system with other
technologies to fit the space that Jabber can't fill.

* Proposal Version (integer): 2

* Proposal Version date stamp: 19 April 2002

* Proposal Maintainer name: Peter Minten

* Proposal Maintainer e-mail: address@hidden

* Revisions:

Version 2: Changed do-you-want-to-be-maintainer field. Changed the
package list.

--- END PROPOSAL ---

--
Silvernerd (Peter Minten)

"Using GNU/Linux is like walking over a ray of bricks, not as beautiful,
but a lot more substantial than light."