Re: [DotGNU]Re: Concept: Forum

From: Silvernerd
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: Concept: Forum
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 18:45:20 +0200

Tim TerlegÄrd wrote:

> >  DotGNU Forum System or simply Forum is a system for inter-human
> >  communication over the net.
> >  It works with forums, virtual places, where people come to, meet
> > each other and work on a task. Forum is the integration of various
> > existing technologies such as IRC, IM, FTP, HTTP, BBS, USENET and
> > others.
>
> Is there something like this available? I'm curious about this Forum
> idea, but I'm not sure what it will look like. Is it a web application?

Forum is a webservice, but it doesn't look like a web app. It has a
client that is a normal webservice and a a server that is a webservice
daemon (no GUI). The forum client will probably look like a window with
a chatbox under it. In the window webservices that support simultaneous
editing will run.

As far as I know there isn't another program like it (the closed I got
while searching on the web was EMACS).

David Sugar wrote:

> Having authored BBS software some 20 years ago, I find this both
> ammusing and interesting.  I think it's generally a great idea.

Thanks for the nice words people. I'm ready to get started on Forum, the
project will officially (for the public) start when it becomes part of
DotGNU (I need officialness to register it as a GNU project on
Savannah). Forums initial implementation will probably be in perl since
pnet doesn't compile yet and thus makes no good platform for design bug
hunting.

--
Silvernerd (Peter Minten)

"Using GNU/Linux is like walking over a ray of bricks, not as beautiful,
but a lot more substantial than light."