Re: [DotGNU]Jabber & Authentication

From: Jonathan P Springer
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Jabber & Authentication
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:53:38 -0400

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 05:10:07PM +0100, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Monday 22 April 2002 05:20, Jonathan P Springer wrote:
> > So I started fiddling with the idea of accepting SOAP over Jabber.
> > Essentially, I'm trying to create a Jabber "client" that will accept
> > SOAP as the content of a Message or Query (asynchronous vs.
> > synchronous).
>
> This is also the first stage of a VRS <-> Jabber Bridge.
> What language are you coding this in?
> We might as well share our toys (if you don't mind) :o)

I'm doing it in Java right now.  I'm trying to integrate the JabberBeans
library and the Apache SOAP implementation.  Before anyone else says it,
I know there may be licensing issues lurking, but I'm being forced this
way because Apache's got the best functional implementation of XML:DB,
my eventual target for data storage.

If it gets to be more than an ugly hack, I'll be happy to share.

> Yeah.  We've the same problem with the LDS/VRS design.  The passwords have
> to be stored somewhere, in fact it's worse with the VRS because there will be
> private keys floating about too.
>
> At the moment we're assuming root is secure and will come back to the
> security issue when the project is a little more mature.

Glad to know it's not just me.

> Cheers,
> Chris

Thanks for the input,
-j

--
-Jonathan P Springer <address@hidden>
"A standard is an arbitrary solution to a recurring problem." - Joe Hazen