Re: [DotGNU]GEASv2

From: Andrew Mitchell
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]GEASv2
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:58:05 +1200

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:25:48AM -0000, Asif Ali wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> been going through GNU EASv2 discussion forum logs and docs..
> EASv1 used corba..an absolute technologies. The authors had
> highlighed the following goals
>
> Must be GPL and built with truly free tools.
> Allow methods (logic) to execute on appserver instead of on client
> and/or database.
> Must be reasonably stable.
> Must be reasonably secure.
> Must be easily maintained.
> Must be usable by business class users (not just programmers).
> Must perform reasonably with large quantities of users and/or
> data.
> Must be easy to configure and adaptable without downtime.
> Communicate with an number of backend datastorage.
> Must run on multiple OSes and Architectures.
> Communitate via a multitude of different tranportaion methods.
> Methods support a number of different languages. (lesser goal)
>
> Agreeing to the above points..i feel the challenge is to support
> the two track approach and loosely coupled objects's performance
> tuning and transactions over distributed architectures..
> hmm amostly i think we would need to rethink on the overall
> strategy of the App server..because the current appserver GEASv1
> (GNU EAS) fits nowehere close to what we might require...nd unless
> goals arent well defined.. ..GEASv2 might also might turn out to
> be a disaster..

 How do you see GEASv2 as turning into a disaster, Asif? Currently the GNUe
tools are built primarily for use within the GNUe framework and we try to
make them usable for all. What are the bad points which you have found with
GEASv1 that would need to be addressed in this revision?
This discussion is probably more appropriate for the GNUe mailing list, which
I have CC'ed (you can subscribe & ask questions there via
http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnue-dev ), but I am wanting to see if
DotGNU people are willing to also look at GNUe for use with webservices, etc :)