[DotGNU]OT: rant on ECMA BCL

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]OT: rant on ECMA BCL
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:38:29 -0500

$BCL="ECMA CLI Base Class Library Standard"
$posn=position
cat << EndOfRant
So I'm writing System.IO.MemoryStream, and I have this idea about how it should be like a FIFO; eg, you read in some data at the beginning posn and write it at the end posn and it acts as a buffer, so you can send data around.

But annoying bastard BCL thinks that there should only be one posn property, and it changes when you read and changes when you write. This baffles me until I realise that they really do mean it, and you read to and write from the same posn, like a pointer that you increment or something. What was once a useful idea for a class is now totally useless.
EndOfRant

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org/

I see you chose the password "starfish." I suggest that you switch to
the password "carriage return." It's much easier to type, and also it
stands up to the principle that there should be no passwords.
        -- Output to a user trying to change his password on the MIT
        LCS system, part of RMS's 0-length password crusade