Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU.* namespaces -- Jabber & stuff

From: Jonathan P Springer
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU.* namespaces -- Jabber & stuff
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:45:08 -0400

Gopal,

Rhys, S11001001 and I had an improptu discussion about this last night
on IRC.  We reached about the same conclusion.  I'm happy to hear that you've
mailed the "right contact" about that.

S11001001 noted that it is also possible to instantiate WebRequest then
set a delegate for the Jabber transport; however creating an easy-to-use
extension a la HttpWebRequest makes sense.

I'm continuing to look at integration of JabberBeans and Apache SOAP for
those operation on the Java side of the spectrum.  Apache SOAP in turn
provides support for Java classes, JavaBeans and EJBs to be served, so
there's a potential quick win/proof-of-concept here.  I've shifted my
thinking from immediate needs to what it would take to make a robust
Jabber-based SOAP server that could be run on an existing Java-based app
server (e.g. Tomcat).  I may propose some "jabber:dotgnu:*"
namespaces; I'll keep the group informed.

OK.  Here's the rub -- I really like the Apache software (Xerses, Xalan,
Xindice, SOAP and Tomcat) for the work I'm doing, but to quote the FSF:

<snip>
We urge you not to use the Apache licenses for software you write.
However, there is no reason to avoid running programs that have been
released under this license, such as Apache.
</snip>

So, any "augmentations" can be released under GPL.  Heck, since Apache's
non-copyleft, we may just be able to further license its chunk under GPL (with
the Apache 1.1-required disclaimer, of course :-( ).  I'd like thoughts
from our license- and philosophy gurus on this question, as I know I
lean toward the less-zealotous on questions of licensing.

Cheers,
-jon