My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:44:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the link, I will try out some of the jabber
gateways.

Now let me digress, and jump back up onto my favorite
soapbox, XML and licensing

My question is :
What if we want to create web services that can only
be used by GPLed programs?

That the usage of and the linkage to them via the
XML/SOAP/XML-RPC/Jabber interfaces provided by DOTGNU
will be under the GPL.

That is the key question to the success of the DotGNU
in general. We have to address this issue sooner or
later.

Please dont be offended, but
I have to say that it is a little strange that there
are so many commercial jabber implementation and very
few good GPLed.

This is an sign of the XML mania that even I have
fallen victim to, XML is great for companies, but it
does not help Free software as much.

The whole linkage and network usage issue comes into
play. By using jabber interfaces, Soap and XML, there
is no protection of the GPL.

We still need to be rethink the entire licensing issue
for the creation of the GPL "viral" effect on the
greater level.

Only then will we get some form of better contribution
to the GNU cause, when we have a key technology that
you have to contribute to in order to use.

XML/SOAP/XML-RPC is a function exporter,
it allows for anyone to us the service.

The C linker is a function exporter,
it allows for anyone to link to and use the service.

Only that the Linker is covered by the GPL, the RPC is
not.

The more we continue with the DOTGNU project, and
webservice, the sooner we will have to confront this
issue.

We still do not have *any* license that will allow for
the GPL like linkage protection for web services.

Most people want to create services that can be used
by anyone or in a company.

mike

http://www.saint-andre.com/jabber/userguide/gateways.html

> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Saint-Andre
> Jabber Software Foundation
> http://www.jabber.org/people/stpeter.html
>
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > Ok, my address is address@hidden,
> > is there no IRC or yahoo gatway for jabber?
> >
> > mike
> > --- James Michael DuPont <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> of
> > > IRC
> > >
> > > I am installing gabber right now, please send me
> the
> > > details for setting up a test chat. Also any
> hints
> > > on
> > > using perl to talk to jabber?
> > >
> > > mike