Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Webservice Goals
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:17:04 -0700 (PDT)

Rhys,
It looks like we are coming down to an aggreement on
what we can and cannot do and what we should and
should not do. Both on the legal and social levels.

> I have no in principle objection to adding Perl
> or Python to the engine, because the user is getting
> no more IL functionality than they would if they
> wrote their application in C#.

Great, that will allow for a Scripting Engine to be
called from ILEngine and for ILEngine to call a
scripting language, and for the enbedding of the
ILEngine inside a Scripting Engine via a Shared Lib
extension module?

Ok, well then will the users scripts that call the
engine have to be GPL? Or will you make an exception?
If the IL engine is usable under the lGPL, or at least
serves as a conduit for users to call functions that
might have any license, without imposing any
restrictions on the users.

> Michael, will you please respect the wishes of the
> GNU and DotGNU authorities on this matter and stop
> wasting everyone's time with fruitless rehashing
> of the same point?

This was brought up in the context if a perl lib
accessing the engine, we have talked about the cscc
access and I have respected your wishes and have not
published any addons that would comprimise it.
The gcc patches have also been taken off line, even
thought the gcc itself contains a full tree dumper
already, that is more of a comprimise then what I was
using.
I was not bringing that up as more than a supporting
argument.

I was talking to gopal about the issue of linking perl
to the run time engine and he suggested that I would
need special permission.
I pointed out that there is no legal difference
between accessing the engine and the compiler, they
are both GPL and provide a sticky license, linking to
them makes your program a derived work.

So this issue is resolved for the ilengine, we can use
it as if it is LGPLed for the purpose of calling
functions whose licenses we then have to evaluate?

I have a different more technical question :
Also it is possible to syncronize two threads in C#
via the locks and mutexes? Maybe the IL engine can be
ran be the client perl engine under the perls thread,
and any calls it needs to make to other threads use
the built in syncronization features?

If noone else brings up licensing, then I wont either,
I am also sick of playing lawyer. The point is that we
do have some tough questions to answer here, so we
will have to spend some time to resolve them.

Regards,
mike

=====
James Michael DuPont