[DotGNU]Developer wishlist

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]Developer wishlist
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:02:41 +0200

Hi folks,

it seems like DotGNU Developer will be the first major webservice, so
it's about time to start planning it (something I learned from Forum:
it's never to early to start planning). It seems most logical to me to
start planning by making a list of what Developer should do/have, a
wishlist so to say. In fact, I already started on it, your entries are
welcome.

DotGNU Developer wishlist:

Core:
* Support for multiple compilers/interpreters (pnet, java, ruby, perl,
python)
* Ability to look into IL files using Reflection in pnetlib
* Ability to extract meta-data from source code using pnetlib Reflection
* Support for simultaneous editing through Forum
* High level of extensibility using scripting languages

GUI:
* Graphical debuggers for the languages (see footnote 1)
* Graphical widget builder (something like glade)
* Highlighted code (syntax accentuation)
* Easy costumization of the highlighting stuff (like glimmer has) so
that new languages can be highlighted too
* Help system (containing language reference, ecma specs, help on gui,
help on compiler option, etc)

That's about my wishlist for now.

Greetings,

Peter

Footnotes:
1) Pnet doesn't have a debugger yet, but a debugger like gdb would
certainly be a good idea, a GPLed debugger like gdb wouldn't open up the
compiler AFAIK (otherwise gdb would never have been allowed). The
debugger could AFAIK also use pnetlib Reflection instead of pnet
internals for it's work.