Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU awareness article
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:35:32 +0530

If memory serves me right, Brandon Bremen wrote:
> B. What needs changed about it

Central control and the licensing of features like Passport and the
related classes in .NET (System.Web.Security.PassportIdentity) . Also
the .NET was build around the existing MFC libs (System.Windows.Forms),
which makes it an ugly API ..

> C. DotGNU solves these problems. How?

Authentication Schemes ...

What should we do about GUI programming ? (you tell us)..

I would urge the newbies here to ask question and get them answered
as well as concat them to this massive awareness article we must have.

> B. Developers Needed
> C. How _anyone_ can help the project

Developers Needed  -- Portable.Net
----------------------------------
   *) Users -- Well users are developers as well . They have always
      been in the free software world. We do not license code to use,
      we give it you to develop . Or else what category would I consider
      the error reports about compiling to a StrongArm 8 Meg PDA be ?.
      So these are the people who do a ./configure && make each week ,
      and develop software (maze programs included ;) with it ....

   *) TestWriters -- People who can test the class libraries with
      Unit tests and likewise ... For the guys who want to have fun
      and derieve pleasure from fscking up the code of other people.

   *) C# Guys -- Basic stuff and the libraries , for the people who
      want to take a shot at pnetlib. Design is secondary ,filling
      TODO's will do for now ... But no 2000 line patches a week please :-)
      (jokes beside, send a patch in when it nears thousand ..)

   *) Compiler Guys -- C# compiler , which is surprisingly easy to
      hack (compared to gcc ;)  ..thanks to Aspect Oriented Programming.
      Migration from other branches possible and practical :)... This
      is where we're lacking right now , with just one major devel and
      a small time patcher (/me) ... I'll state again, students of this
      once black art , will need the dragon book and a good treecc cage
      to slay the dragon ....

   *) Runtime Devels -- the Gurus are welcome to hack the runtime to
      make it 100% error proof (nope, not talking about whiskey) ..
      Or to find /* TODO */ internal calls to hack... Migration from
      developing class libraries needed :-)

   *) If you're really adventurous, you could try embedding pnet in
      user programs for plugin APIs. Next time you think about that
      wonderful FPS you're writing , think about pnet as the VM for
      the scripted events... (QuakeC is passe) .. Or if you're a
      distributed freak, try hacking up a distributed system which
      uses pnet as the runtime ...

   *) For the masochist, there's the challenge of adding new languages
      to cscc . I and hopefully 2 more guys are going to work on the
      Java compiler for cscc, currently going to go in for the standard
      IL output ... Hopefully I'll have a good try at doing that.

Can _anyone_ help ?
-------------------

  Yes . But that of course depends on what sort of an anyone you are .
If you are a totally non-tech guy , you could focus on the development
of the website or something like that . You could work on the status
reports or the release work . You could work at urging lazy bones (like
yours truly) to hack out a peice of code . If you are good at writing
things , you could focus on stuff like this .. Then there's the packagers,
if you can package pnetlib .dlls daily , you're the man I was looking
for ..

  Well if you're an average techie, you still could contribute to the
project by spreading the idea . The DotGNU project had a lot of good
ideas of which only one is on the race track right now .. I for one,
would like all of them to finish the race ... (DEE, SEE...)

"This means You !"  ;-)