Re: [DotGNU]using Platform; error messages

From: Joker Hacker
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]using Platform; error messages
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:08:35 +0100 (BST)

 --- Charles Shuller <address@hidden>

> I don't actually care too much about FileMethod in
> particular, but I
> decided to start implementing the System.IO
> functions in pnetlib, and
> this seems to require calling methods which are
> built in to the runtime
> environment and abstracted away by the Platform
> Objects. (Let me know if
> I'm wrong).  However whenever I attempt to use a
> Platform method,
> specifically:
>
> Platform.FileMethods.ValidatePathname(".");
>
> I get:
>
> chazz_hello.cs:9: `Platform' is not declared in the
> current scope
> chazz_hello.cs:9: invalid left operand to `.'
> chazz_hello.cs:9: invalid left operand to `.'
> chazz_hello.cs:9: called object is not a method or
> delegate
>

> I have tried every 'using' statement I can think of.
>
> I don't think it is important, but just in case,
> some details about my
> system:
>
> Linux ranmaru 2.4.18 #7 Tue Sep 24 13:09:54 CDT 2002
> i686 unknown
>
> GLIBC 2.2.5
>
> GCC 3.1.1
>
> Thanks!

Hmm... it's been a long time since somebody reported
their full details in it ..

Unfortunately Platform is an internal namespace,
so it is not visible from outside mscorlib .

And I seem to remember FileMethods.ValidatePathName()
being on /* TODO */ in lib_file.c or was it lib_dir.c

Try hacking System.IO by pulling out the classes
you need into a temp dir and filemethods as well...
and add a Main() method in the class you're hacking
to test it ... (or just add a Main to FileMethods,
and test it alone ?) .. This will allow you to
test internal classes.

BASH$ ls /tmp/testdir
FileMethods.cs File.cs
BASH$ cscc *.cs
....<no errors !>
BASH$ ./a.out.exe

I hope you manage to join the Weekend Warriors
(which was an infamous bike gang, Btw) to hack
on pnetlib....

Once I get back home , I can send you the example of
how I hacked System.IO.Path ... (the build dir,
which should be a decent example ...)

       visit http://in.tv.yahoo.com