Re: [DotGNU]Licensing

From: Charles Shuller
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Licensing
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:06:33 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
You wrote:

Can GPL and LGPL software be included in Pnetlib??

Pnetlib is the replacement or standard .NET library
Portable.Net has ... It has to reach ECMA compatibility
as well as aproach a similar API to .NET SDK

We usually do not add software programs to pnetlib,
because it is kept as minimal and ECMA compliant as
possible.

So please rephrase the idea and tell us what the mystery
software is :-)

At the time, I was specifically wondering how to implement the System.IO.Delete method, and decided that doing whatever rm -r and GLIBC does would probably be a good idea. I wasn't sure if this would create any licensing conflicts because of the exception in pnelib version of the GPL, even though one is in C and the other in CSharp.

In the course of figuring out where system dependant code DID go, I discovered the internal methods, and that I could in fact, just use the C library to make low-level calls, and NOT in fact have to use anything remotely like syscall(), which seems to move the question from the practical to the theoretic, as well as make me a much happier person :)

So there is no radical idea about embedding other software into an already quite well defined library :)

--Charles