Re: [DotGNU]Port of a Java quantum fractal generator.

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Port of a Java quantum fractal generator.
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:24:01 +1000

Adam Treat wrote:

> A. Portable.Net's CSCC -- 'cscc -o qf.exe -l Qt -O3 FractalViewer.cs
> QPaintBuffer.cs QuantumFractals.cs IQuantumFractal.cs'
>
>         1. 1017675/51.455 = 19777.961
>         2. 1023028/52.562 = 19463.262
>         3. 1039391/51.836 = 20051.528
>
>                 ~19764.25 datapoints/second
>                 ~1.2 seconds to compile

I'm such a dingbat.  Whenever it got the length of an array, it
was calling the "Array.get_Length" method, instead of using the
shortcut "ldlen" opcode.  The overhead of the method call is
probably what is swamping the performance of the cscc-compiled
version.

I've added that special case to the compiler now, which should
improve performance quite a bit.  It had a big improvement on
PNetMark's "Sieve" benchmark after I recompiled it.  Retry it
and let us know how if it helps.