[DotGNU]Defining WebServices (NetServices???)

From: Chris Smith
Subject: [DotGNU]Defining WebServices (NetServices???)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 18:22:47 +0000

I've been tootling along with the development of the DGEE framework
application and have got to the stage where I could theoretically create a
WebService in C#, compile it up, install it into my DGEE installation through
some ShellMungingMagic (ie cp <src> <dst> ) and fire off a request to it.

A couple of problems stop me, mainly that we've not defined the webservice
interface.

Doing a brief websearch, the following .net example presents itself:

using System;
using System.Web.Services;

public class TestWS:WebService
{
    [WebMethod(Description="Says Hello, even if you're not the world.",
       EnableSession=true)]
    public void SayHello()
    {
      Console.WriteLine( "Hello\n" );
    }
}

DotGNU will require _more_ interface metadata than .net as we really need to
get ownership and other identification data into the compiled target (so that
the DGEE/SEE/VRS can do their things).

So, do we have any current focus on this sort of thing?

I might have to start giving System.Web.Service a bash to get at least
preliminary WebMethodAttribute and System.Web.Services.WebService.

My thinking is that the inherited System.Web.Services.WebService will provide
the binding between the users webservice and the DGEE... so using whatever
Mono have implemented is a no go for this bit.

Mono have done a lot of other System.Web.Services.* stuff.  Can we import any
of that?

Anyone got any experience of System.Web.Services.* ????

Excuse the vagueness of the email... it's the first time I've looked at this
side of C#!

Suggestions, advice, help - all welcome.  It's a windy road ahead.

Chris

--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.