Re: [DotGNU]Defining WebServices (NetServices???)

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Defining WebServices (NetServices???)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 01:04:01 +0530

If memory serves me right, Chris Smith wrote:
> A couple of problems stop me, mainly that we've not defined the webservice
> interface.

Hmm... yes ... still no .NET stuff ...

> So, do we have any current focus on this sort of thing?

Nope , as far as I know it .. We're still focussing hard on ECMA and
other lowlifs ...

> My thinking is that the inherited System.Web.Services.WebService will provide
> the binding between the users webservice and the DGEE... so using whatever
> Mono have implemented is a no go for this bit.

Yes ... If we are going to build DGEE as the webservice container (and not
ASP.NET or a WebServer) we definitely cannot use the mono libs ...

And we have to build a new framework which can run .NET binaries just the
way MS used to cook it ... But on an entirely different paradigm ... Owner
of Data ...

IMHO owner of data can come at a later stage ,  we can evolve from a client
server model to a distributed model in time ...

> Mono have done a lot of other System.Web.Services.* stuff.  Can we import any
> of that?

Most of what .NET have seems to be tied down to the assumption that the
data will be SOAP or XMLRPC or something like that (XML) ... And that the
transmission will be HTTP based .... Both of which I don't like ...

Your messaging protocol and Jabber as middleware are what I like about
DotGNU webservices ... Without either we can never be as good as we promised.