RE: [DotGNU]Diagnosing problems with "madcow"

From: Dawkins, David
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Diagnosing problems with "madcow"
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 05:44:06 -0500

Rhys offered:
> [ cow stuff deleted ... ]
>
> So, without further ado, let me introduce you to the "madcow" script
> within the CVS "pnet" tree.  It is an agressively cheerful build
> assistant that walks the user through the build process and points
> out common problems.  Even if you aren't having problems building,
> it is still much more interesting than ye ole "./configure;make".
>
> [ more cow stuff deleted ... ]
>
>                     (__)
>                     (oo)
>                      \/-------\
>                       ||     | \
>                       ||---W||  *

This reminds me of a possible enhancement we can make to make_patches.sh.

If you run this script for the whole tree without having done
a "cvs update" first, the patch file includes the files that
got pulled in from CVS too.

Although HACKING does say to do the cvs update first, I wondered
about looking for "U" or "P" in the output from "cvs update" after
it's called from the script; if spotted, then ask the user to check
that their tree still builds before rerunning the script, and then
exit.

I will do this unless anyone screams.

DavidD

PS  I Was going to say, that cow doesn't look particularly mad.
Then I realised *anything* rendered as ascii art would look fairly
insane.