Re: [DotGNU]Introduction

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Introduction
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 06:16:00 +0530

If memory serves me right, Matt Hanselman wrote:
> My preference is something language-related; something along the lines of
> a compiler/debugger would be the best, while things like the SEE and
> language plugins also look interesting.

Even though I'm tempted to ask you to start writing a brand new compiler
here ... I think hacking the existing compiler to some extent will help
you understand some of the basic concepts of TreeCC ... This is a tool
which simplifies Abstract Syntax Trees and makes handling them almost
trivial ...

The whole idea of Aspect Oriented Programming is vague IMHO, but TreeCC
should be straight forward to understand from a developers point of view.
(I'm speaking as one who hacks cscc, but still does not understand AOP).

If you need a really simple compiler written with treecc , then take a
look at http://symonds.net/~gopalv82/code/expr_compiler.tgz (be warned
the Parrot codegen is outdated).

> I actually have almost no experience in .NET.  However I did work at DEC
> (about a year before Compaq bought them) working on the C and C++
> compilers.

Great ... We have 70% of our C compiler done with a lots of missing peices
in there ... I'd be really happy if there is someone actively working on
the C compiler, and since you mention experience in that field...

> Does this sound at all interesting?  If so, tell me where to start poking
> around, what things to start looking to get more familiar with the code,
> etc.  Or if you want more info, just ask away.  :)

Can you keep in touch with us on IRC ? ... I visit our room irc.freenode.net
#dotgnu as t3rmin4t0r frequently ... That's more of a "here's a new idea"
area and a more natural environment for discussing brand new ideas if you
happen to have some ...  :-)