Re: [DotGNU]Jabber

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Jabber
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 03:48:31 +0530

If memory serves me right, Simon Guindon wrote:
> Hey all, I just want to inform people that Tipic and Mono have formed a
> partnership to bring Tipic's client and server solutions to other platforms
> via Mono.  This also includes their SDK for server and client solutions.

As far as I can see Tipic does not seem to be an open platform for
development , nor is it Free for commercial use ....

> Gopal and myself feel we can do the same with my small software group doing
> Jabber solutions.  I would like to work with the Qt# people to build a GPL
> version of a proof-of-concept Jabber client.  Doesn't look like Ximian/Tipic
> have much code to prove anything works yet, and I think we can beat them to
> the punch.

While the Jabber.Net by Joe Hildebrand is fully free ... (under JOSL
IIRC)... And the best part is that we have the peices ready , except
for the XmlTextReader ...

If that can be rushed to the working stage , we might have the perfect
webservice toolkit ...

Even if Ximian/Tipic works, I would rather think companies will use our
planned system if it proves to be cost effective :-)...