[DotGNU]Re: licensing of fox toolkit

From: David Sugar
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: licensing of fox toolkit
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:46:32 -0500

I have read your comments and I now have a clearer idea of your intent.  I
still do have a problem with the addendum as written and have a minor
suggestion that could  effectivily resolve the issue entirely.  The problem
occurs with regard to article 0 and 5.  As I now understand the intent of
article 5, it makes it clear that the addendum need not apply to code that is
created, but does not make the addendum revokable upon redistribution from
fox itself or the "work as a whole" unless or accept under certain very
specific situations, and this makes it hard to judge when or if the addendum
can be revoked.  Hence, as a free software author, the addendum doesn't
nessisarly get added to my own code, but certainly would have to be to
distribute the work "as a whole".

Since article 5 suggests some complex hoops where the thing may be revokable,
I would suggest scrapping section 5 entirely, and rewriting section 0 with a
single clear statement that says when you redistribute fox itself or a work
that includes fox, it is your choice whether fox is licensed with these
additional stipulations, or by the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
License unmodified.  Adding some works to that effect at the top as article 0
will make it much clearer that one can use the library as a purely LGPL
library.  At that point, if you add terms that included waving dead chickens
every third Thursday if you distribute an application that includes fox, I
would not care, for I can always ignore and apply the conditions of the GNU
LGPL umodified :).  Nor would I immediately care about additional priviledges
and/or burdens being imposed upon those that wish to use fox but feel they
cannot do so under the the terms of the LGPL as written.

I would further say that any additional stipulations that you do add should be
made more clearly in reference to the act of redistribution.  The GNU (L)GPL
really only effects what happens when you distribute a work to others; it
imposes no restictions to how you make use code that you receive unless you
also distribute.  Hence, I cannot imagine needing to add priviledges to the
license for someone to use fox, as the GNU (L)GPL license enables that for
your own private use you can certainly do anything you wish, unlike virtually
every proprietary license which claims to impose many specific limitations to
what one can do with code they receive.  I assume in enabling "wider use" of
fox, you really mean enabling others to distribute things written with fox
where the GNU LGPL may add requirements they would otherwise find undesirable
(who wound find promoting freedom undesirable is a different question...)
since they are already enabled to "use" it with the GNU LGPL as is.