[DotGNU]JScript checked into pnetlib

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]JScript checked into pnetlib
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:07:24 +1000

Hi all,

The initial version of my JScript code has been checked into pnetlib's CVS
repository.  It isn't quiet yet at the working stage, but is getting closer
by the day.

Everyone with a CVS check-out will need to re-configure and re-build.  The
recommended process is:

    make distclean
    cvs -z3 update -d
    ./auto_gen.sh
    ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
    make

JScript uses treecc to do the heavy lifting on the node types.  You will need
to have at least treecc 0.2.0 installed (the one released last Saturday).
Older versions of treecc lack the new "internal_access" option that JScript
relies upon.  So, you may have to install a new treecc first if you haven't
already done so.

Those who are interested in helping out on JScript should read the document
"pnetlib/doc/JScript-internals.txt" first, which explores which parts of the
code do what, with respect to the ECMAScript specification, ECMA-262.  More
documentation to come in the following days.

The initial target is a tree-based evaluator for ECMAScript 3.  Then we'll
move along two parallel tracks: (a) ECMAScript 4 and JScript extensions, (b)
Reflection.Emit support for the "compile to IL" mode.

Speaking of Reflection.Emit, that is one of two big areas to be tackled in the
coming months.  The other is System.Threading.  To help this process along,
I'd like some volunteers to help stub out the Reflection.Emit and Threading
API's.  You don't have to figure out how to implement the internalcalls yet:
just get the interfaces in place and we'll deal with the internalcalls later.