Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:22:07 +0530

If memory serves me right, Chris Smith wrote:
> We'll have to experiment with this.
> Exposing a property in .net is (apparently) a hack because the get_ and set_
> methods do not appear to physically exist in the assembly.  I think MS
> introduce some wrapper methods to do perform the get_ and set_ for you.

Nope ... each property is like this ...

.property instance ....Prop()
{
        .get instance .... get_Prop()
        .set instance .... set_Prop()
}

The good thing about marking the method rather than the property is

#1) one less attribute to process
#2) you can restrict set from webservices while allowing it indirectly,
    or multiple levels of access for get & set which is directly impossible
    with IL !..

> just to get '42' back probably takes someewhere in the region of 7.5 million
> years.

:) .. good one ... but what was the question again ? ... (LOL) ...

> this at the client and server end, and doing your property setting in batches
> 'commiting' the changes when appropriate.

Quorum for distributed servers .... single point sync for single servers.
As Chris said earlier - transactions Commit(),Abort() and Rollback() ...
Atomic transactions maintained at each client is ideal for the webservice
scenario...

We can't afford to stick to HTTP solutions here ...

> This would definately work with web services as they're equally as stateless
> and multi-process as my self-persisting obj system.

Hmm... "Proxy" idea ?... In short Butler is what your first mail about the
CallProxy said ... (I'll call it CallProxy to avoid any confusion) ...

We're coming dangerously near Remoting if you ask me ... I need to figure
out what and how remoting works .... (IIRC, Joe Hildebrand of jabber.net,
had helped with a Jabber transport for remoting for MS.Net)..