[DotGNU]Portability update: ia64 & alpha

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Portability update: ia64 & alpha
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:39:41 +1000

Hi all,

After updating libffi and libgc, and then fixing some 64-bit alignment issues,
ilrun now works under ia64 and alpha on all the standard examples (hello,
fib, codepage, pnetmark, etc).  Hooray!

I've also fixed -O3 compiles so that they shouldn't crash out on i386
platforms any more.

Now the bad news: cscc has some problems compiling pnetlib at the moment on
these platforms: ia64 hangs during the ilasm phase of building mscorlib.dll,
and alpha simply crashes the compiler.  :-( So, it is necessary to build
pnetlib on another platform and upload the binary assemblies to the
ia64/alpha box.

Anyway, I'm looking into these problems now and will hopefully have some more
news to report soon.  It's probably something simple.

Because I've updated libffi and libgc, there is the possibility that some
platforms may stop working, or better yet, start working.  So, if you have a
non-Linux/i386 platform, then I'd appreciate it if you could try building and
then let me know if there are any problems, or if things are working now that
didn't before.

Because these changes were pretty major, I recommend doing a "make distclean"
followed by "./auto_gen.sh" and "./configure".