Re: [DotGNU]random question

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]random question
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:40:08 +1000

On Saturday 08 February 2003 05:46 am, CH Gowri Kumar wrote:

> Just curious to know the reason :)

Rhys hates C++.  No other reason. :)

Seriously though, in the runtime engine I wanted to keep total control over
everything that was happening, for performance reasons.  With C, what you see
is what you get.  With C++, lots of other stuff can be going on behind the
scenes and it can be difficult to spot and fix.

While there may be a few things (e.g. ILCoder) that might be a little nicer in
C++, it can easily turn into the dark side: once you start down that path, it
can very quickly dominate everything.  "Well, since I'm using it here, I
might as well use it over there too".  I chose to keep things pure C, to
reduce the temptation.

On the compiler side, treecc brings in enough OOP/AOP to split things up and
make it manageable, and so there is little need for full-blown C++.