Re: [DotGNU]Portability update

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portability update
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:11:36 +1000

On Saturday 08 February 2003 08:52 am, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> The compiler problem on some platforms seems to be
> too deep to discover at the moment ...

Found it.  The symptom was cscc appearing to lock up under ia64 and other
platforms when building mscorlib.dll in pnetlib.  What was mysterious was
that Gowri Kumar didn't have any problems with the ia64 compiler and pnetlib
on his system.

Turns out it wasn't locking up, but taking a _very_ long time to do the "token
fixup" phase of compiler output on testdrive.hp.com.

The critical difference appears to be NFS (home directories on testdrive are
NFS-mounted).  The token fixup phase does a lot of seeking back and forth to
fix up the tokens, and this is very expensive under NFS.  But on a local hard
drive (which I'm assuming Gowri Kumar was using), the overhead is mostly
unnoticeable.

There is a work-around for this if people are interested, but it uses a lot of
memory.  For now I'm going to leave the NFS problem in place.  I'll fix it
properly after 0.5.2, in such a way that we should get a speed improvement
for local hard drives too.

The long and the short of it is that all tested platforms seem to be working
now, with a few minor quirks here and there.