Re: [DotGNU]Calling C# from Java

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Calling C# from Java
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:15:22 +0530

If memory serves me right, Kunle Odutola wrote:
> Is there a Java -> MSIL compiler?

Not yet ...

> Any plans to produce one?

Parser is finished and running through Java code happily ...

> How easy would it be to produce one starting from the current sources?

Relatively easier than doing a non-C# like language ;-) ... I hope to
re-use most of the C# codegen and at least part of the semanalysis phase
for this.

But there are some difficult questions to be answered about Java ... for
example how do I return ValueTypes to Java ? ... (I've decided to ignore
structs and enums for Java for now) ...

Theoretically all this would ensure the ability to inherit a C# class
from Java and vice versa (Unlike the retargetting jikes project).

I think the compiler will be usable by April/May this year ... and
that's probably when it will hit the public CVS .