Re: [DotGNU]Mercury on Portable.NET (not successful)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Mercury on Portable.NET (not successful)
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:21:52 +1000

On Friday 28 February 2003 11:10 pm, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> It works with the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK version 1.0.
> That's the latest official release, AFAIK.
> But there are probably beta releases of 1.1 floating around.

I suspect that it works through sheer dumb luck.  Big surprise.

MS uses a lazy method of loading classes, only pulling something in when it is
actually referenced, whereas pnet currently loads everything at once.  As far
as I can tell the "AssemblyAttributesGoHere" definition is never referenced
at runtime, and so MS'es runtime never notices that it is pointing at dead
air.

I've been gradually moving towards on-demand loading of types in pnet for a
couple of months now, to support recursively defined images.  Since Mercury
is using recursive images (mercury.dll depends upon the other dll's which in
turn depend upon mercury.dll), I'm accelerating the support for on-demand
the bottom as a happy coincidence.

A few more days, and I'll hopefully have Mercury support nailed.