Re: [DotGNU]Starting of the swigging of pnet

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Starting of the swigging of pnet
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:19:50 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 March 2003 07:05 pm, James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > Second the pnivoke is the standard generated code for swig,
> > Once it works, I will work on making them internalcalls.
>
> Internalcalls are intended for things inside pnetlib, not third party
> code.
> If the engine was built as a shared object, then there'd be no
> significant
> difference between using PInvoke and internalcalls (PInvoke would
> probably be
> slightly faster actually).

The reason why I started on this was to help implement reflection.emit.
When the ILAsm code is wrapped in internal calls, and made available
via static linking to the C#, it can be used to implement the
Reflection.Emit code.

I must say that I find the reflection.emit class model to be bad. I
hope to create a new and better version that superceeds the limited
microsoft based model.

> > Fourthly I can then make pnet run inside of Perl, Ruby, Java, etc
> as a
> > module. Then I can remove the IL Parser from the ILStubberAuto and
> just
> > read the ILImage directly into perl.
>
> OK - I'll buy that.  Just remember that the pnet code is GPL'ed, and
> so the
> swig-wrapped version must be too.

Yes of course. All my software is GPLed, I dont support anyone using
GPLed code to make non free tools.

If pnet is embedded in a Perl Module, or better yet linked statically
directly into a new perl exe, we will be able to call back and forth.
Later on we can try and merge pnet and parrot runtimes into on.

When pnet is wrapped, I will be wrapping mono and parrot
then we can start looking into horse trading games.

The whole idea of a wrapper is isolation, when you wrap mono, you can
also use that wrapper code to help create the mono personality for
pnet.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont