Re: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Implement RDF in a Universal Data Structure
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:36:14 +0200 (CEST)

Seth Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think for a couple of reasons some people are going to have to see
> it to believe in it first

Count me in among the unbelievers :-)

> and it is not the sort of thing I think should be done on the
> "release early, release often" principle.  The first reason is that
> DotGNU's basic inspiration is implementing the CLR .NET kind of
> thing, so something that purports to be more of a universal
> application than a universal runtime necessarily brings about
> cognitive dissonance.

I don't agree with what you say here about "implementing the CLR .NET
kind of thing" being "DotGNU's basic inspiration".   I think that it's
much closer to the truth to say that "DotGNU's basic inspiration is
that in every matter, there should be multiple good options that do
not require any sacrifice of freedom".  So for example, besides IL
bytecode, cscc is also able to generate JVM bytecode and support for
further bytecode systems may be added at a later stage.  Multiple VM
support is among the features provided by the new version of DGEE,
(DotGNU Execution Environment, a basic webservice server) which has
been released today.

In my mind, the cognitive dissonance starts already when something is
called "universal". :-)

> I showed RMS an early server about a year or so ago, and his main
> thing was that I ought to show it to database type folks who could
> comment on whether it's already been or being done.

I think RMS has a very good point... it seems plausible to me that
the kind of thing that you're talking about will be very useful in
the context of databases, namely to create a database engine that
can automatically optimize the way that data is stored depending
on how the data will typically be used.

> But the truth is, the whole database industry is unaware that this
> is a possibility.

How can you be sure that they're not busy filing patent applications
while we speak?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/