Re: [DotGNU]IKVM custom attributes

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IKVM custom attributes
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 20:39:00 +1000

On Thursday 01 May 2003 08:18 pm, Jeroen Frijters wrote:
> Hi Rhys,
>
> I looked at the custom attributes I use in IKVM.NET and wrote a little
> bit about them. Some aren't relevant for a Java source to IL compiler
> and there may be scenarios that I missed. At least it's something to get
> started with.

Looks good.  Would it be possible to move the classes into a separate
namespace, out of the global one, to reduce the chance that they may overlap
with something else out there?  I suggest "OpenSystem.Java", to match the
"OpenSystem.C" that we currently use in the pnet C compiler.

I assume that there is some enum class for the modifiers used by
"ModifiersAttribute"?  And perhaps "IKVMAssemblyAttribute" can be renamed
"JavaAssemblyAttribute"?  (Just fine-tuning - feel free to say no :-) ).

> I think we need to put the attributes in an assembly that contains no
> code other than the trivial stuff (constructors and property accessors),
> the attributes shouldn't have any behavior. I would suggest a zlib type
> license for this assembly to make sure anyone can use it.

I agree.  "OpenSystem.Java.dll"?  We can add this to pnetlib easily enough, to
support the standalone Java compiler.

P.S. I once suggested "OpenSystem" to the Mono crew as a neutral namespace for
useful common stuff outside of the MS-defined "System", but they didn't go
for it, prefering "Mono".  But I see no reason why we can't use it for Java.