Re: [DotGNU]Calling C

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Calling C
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:50:05 +0530

If memory serves me right, Chris Smith wrote:
> Well, I'd like the goldwater API to be available from within the pnet VM in
> the DGEE but nowhere else.  Internalcall seems to lend itself to this.

Unless you need some special treatment like handling data objects directly
or something , icalls don't make much sense ... But they do make sense when
you need pluggable stuff ie implement checks in C# and call them from the
engine or something ...

Internal calls allow you to call C# methods from C ... which is something
PInvoke cannot match (delegates closures are iffy)...

> However, if the webservice requiring access to the goldwater api was written
> in python then it would be using a SWIG'd mechanism.

Let me say this ... unless your functions are real easy , Swig is a real
ugly thing to handle ... (it's easy , but it's not very flexible) ...

As long as we abstract the actual functionality into DGEESupport or some
other common library , these things are just details ...

Gopal
PS: as I said the last time , you could pull out PInvoke and insert icals,
but the latter movement is impossible or at least difficult...