Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - last call for objections or concerns

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU Manifesto - last call for objections or concerns
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 01:28:10 +0200 (CEST)

Peter Minten <address@hidden> replied:

> You might want to leave the reference to Forum out. At the moment it
> doesn't seem like Forum is going to be anymore than a vision for the
> next year, since it depends on very much unwritten stuff.

I'd rather leave it in even if Forum will remain "dreamware" for a
while.... here's my reasoning:

I want to include an explicit reference to DotGNU group communication
/ colloboration systems, because (a) for webservices to be effectively
administrated by a group of people, there should be a way to integrate
the webservice administartion with a group communication system, and
(b) this reference makes it easier to understand why it's totally
appropriate to consider phpGroupware a DotGNU component.

However, because phpGroupware is designed as a browser-based system,
it will necessarily have some UI limitations, and DotGNU will certainly
want to include in addition a system which does not have these
limitations.  I understand this "Forum" reference in the manifesto as
a reference to whatever DotGNU's "power GUI" group communication
/ colloboration system will be.  If it turns out that this will be
built with a different name than "Forum", we can always update the
manifesto.  But I want the vision which is presented in the manifesto
to be big enough to be really viable in the long run.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->  http://FreeStrategy.info