Re: [DotGNU]Portable.Net Windows Installers Posted

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.Net Windows Installers Posted
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:07:16 +0200 (CEST)

Gopal V <address@hidden> wrote:

> license , which is FS compatible ?

Both installers have GPL compatible licenses, i.e. they're ok for our
purposes.

> Get back to them and tell them about both ... and ask for
> a review  -- nothing like REAL user feedback to decide
> on something like this.

That's a very good idea :-)

Maybe before asking for feedback we should build the package
in a fully FSF policy compatible manner... we need a single
package which contains full source code of everything, including
treecc and the installer program.

The user should be given a choice of how much source code they
want to install:

- binaries only
- binaries plus library source code
- binaries plus complete Portable.NET source code
- binaries plus source code for everything (including the installer program)

Also, could it be arranged that during the installation process
the following text is shown?

--snip------------------------------------------------------------
The DotGNU project needs your help!

Please visit our website at http://dotgnu.org

You are right now installing DotGNU Portable.NET

We do not require you to agree to an EULA (End User License Agreement)
before using these program, because we consider it morally unacceptable
how practically all EULAs seek to restrict the rights of software users.

DotGNU Portable.NET is Free Software.  This means that you have freedom
rights to modify and redistribute this software.  If you want to
distribute modified copies or other derivative works, check the
licensing information at the top of each source code file for the
exact terms and conditions.

DotGNU Portable.NET is part of the GNU project which seeks to replace
today's proprietary operating systems with Free Software.

This software package is user friendly: It comes will full source code!

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT
WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER
PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE
PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME
THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR
DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM
(INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED
INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF
THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER
OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Free Software Business Strategy Guide   --->  http://FreeStrategy.info