Re: [DotGNU]Enum.ToObject

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Enum.ToObject
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:17:41 +0530

If memory serves me right, Thong (Tum) Nguyen wrote:
> I was just looking at bug 4507
> (http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=4507&group_id=353)

I think I can't reproduce that problem here ....

> The reason MS's prints ONE2 is because MS internally sorts the enum's
> fields based on the field values and then uses those sorted values for
> all lookups (including for calls to GetValues and GetNames).

Does the words "stable sorting" ring a bell ? (the only reason you should
use bubblesort more often ;-)

> PNET on
> the other hand simply uses and searches the enum field values in the
> order they're written.

Which does make sense in a crude primitive way ?

> implementation.  The different implementation unfortunately gives a
> different (although technically still correct) output.

Hmmm if ONE1==ONE2 why would it really matter what ToString() gives ?
(it's ToString() that's freaking out here btw)

> Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated...

This might be a compiler issue IMHO... try running an MS compiled .exe
on pnet .. or vice versa , does that give the same output ?