Re: [DotGNU]DrawString good and bad news.... / Freetype

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DrawString good and bad news.... / Freetype
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:21:12 +1000

On Monday 29 September 2003 07:05 pm, Thomas Fritzsche wrote:

> Are there any tools in dotgnu to make some performence checks to see where
> all the time is lost?

"ilrun -M blah.exe" will tell you how many times each method is called.  That
should give you some indication as to where the inner time-wasting loops are.

> How far is the C-Support of the dotgnu system? Is it possible to compile
> freetype with it to get clean il-code? Is the ilrun fast engough?

The C compiler system isn't really up to this task yet - not enough support in
libc for it.  The Xft library uses freetype internally, and works OK on
modern versions of X.  I suggest sticking with libX11 and libXft.  Font
management is horrid no matter how it is done, and so we're better off using
a standard interface.