Re: [DotGNU]Java compiler projects?

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Java compiler projects?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:55:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi Max,

> I am looking for information about Java compiler
> projects in the DotGNU
> initiatize with the intent to learn about what their
> current status is and
> hopefully contribute to some code development.

I am the guy who started on the java compiler and is
solely responsible for the mess that exists there :)

Truthfully speaking , the compiler needs to be
rewritten to alias methods and classes.

The simple javalib I've been using is in
http://demo.dotgnu.org/~t3rmin4t0r/code/java_patches.tgz
... and there is a java_examples.tgz there as well.
Install javalib and run the examples.

> I am
> new to DotGNU (so there
> is a lot to learn for me :-) but have some
> experience with Java and
> compilers.

Steps to learn how compiler plugins are written for
dotgnu.

1) Look at treecc docs
2) Get
http://demo.dotgnu.org/~t3rmin4t0r/code/expr_compiler.tgz
and read,run etc
3) Get
http://demo.dotgnu.org/~t3rmint0r/code/dfagen.tgz ,
read learn etcc
4) Read treecc docs again and you'll understand what
it all meant
5) Read pnet/cscc/bf/* files for an idea of how treecc
combines into pnet compilers
6) Read pnet/codegen/cg_nodes.tc for an understanding
of all the node types and their visitors
7) Then look at the java compiler, and you will
understand why that design had a slight flaw in
handling Types.
(ie all types in java inherit from java.lang.Object,
all IL exceptions inherit from System.Exception , so
java.lang.Exception needs to inherit from both ...
which isn ot possble.... and why my method failed in
building a good java compiler)