Re: [DotGNU]Engine updates

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Engine updates
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:18:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

> Monitors are now much faster than they were in 0.1.
> Thanks to ideas and encouragement from Russell
> Stuart and a few optimisations and  simplifications
> of the algorithm, the code runs several orders of
> magnitude faster than the monitors in 0.1  (by
> my tests, over 200 times faster).  This
> should speed up the class library in general.

Monitors are used in each and every Xsharp
call in the Windows.Forms, so I think this
should be seen as a very good thing for
Winforms performance :)

> use of synchronization (remember: pnetlib uses
> synchronization).

I counted at least ~500 locks in pnetlib ...
Especially since even a Console.WriteLine() goes
though a lock .. this is a Good Thing (tm).

> The monitor enter/exit algorithms are designed to
> eliminate context switches
> into kernel mode by avoiding "fat" OS-locks
> (therefore avoiding system
> calls) and as I mentioned above, are now much faster
> than they were before.

This I suppose , should solve the NPTL issues ?..

> GC
> --
>
> Foundations for typed allocation have been laid (see
> include/il_gc.h).
> Typed-allocation will allow us to decrease the
> chances that objects won't be
> collected or finalized by letting us tell the GC
> which words within an
> object contain pointers and which don't.

Yay ! ..