Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]License on Doc Code Examples

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [DotGNU]License on Doc Code Examples
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:28:44 +1000

On Friday 11 June 2004 02:52 am, Maciek Plewa wrote:
> GV> The class library documentation is extracted from
> GV> the ECMA All.xml file. The same license applies
> GV> for the code included.
>
> What is the licence for 'ECMA All.xml' file?

You would have to ask the ECMA that, but I'm guessing some kind of "verbatim
copying only" license that is common with standards documents.  The All.xml
file, and the associated example code snippets, were originally extracted
from the Microsoft documentation for C#.

It is probably OK to convert it into HTML for viewing purposes (no one has
objected yet).  But anything else is playing with fire.  In Copyright matters
it is best to assume that, absent an explicit notice, you can't do anything.