dr-geo

Re: [Dr-geo] Re-write?

From: .Org.Com
Subject: Re: [Dr-geo] Re-write?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 23:58:32 +0530

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Gurjot Singh <address@hidden> wrote:

> Continuing my previous post, I have concluded that the work needed to
> update the libraries used in drgeo requires almost re-write of the
> back-end code.

True.

> The foundation of the software is really old. The code hasn’t been
> changed since 2005 but the techniques on the basis of which the code
> was written has changed a lot. If the libraries are updated, the code
> requires a good amount of change which seems practical but is not so
> easy and still leaves the old-foundation intact.

and that will constraint to have a good software.

> The concepts used in the software are good and can be enhanced and re-used.

The objectives of software can't be changed.

> Earlier I was thinking of using Vala Programming Language[0] to write
> the application along with GTK+3[1]. There might be some licensing
> issue, not sure though.

Licensing is our top priority.

> If you suggest that I can use it, then I may start with it, else I will use
> C++.

Use C++.

> For drawing purposes I’ll use Cairo[2], a 2D Graphics Library which is
> also used/supported by Gtk3.

Good choice.

> Considering the scripting part, it could be done using either Guile or
> Lua which can be decided later.

We will decide about it later.

> The main motive is to build a solid foundation for the software that
> can be enhanced in future without much of a hassle.

That's what I conveyed in my previous mail.

> If all of this is acceptable, then I can prepare my milestones accordingly.

Doing this will be in the interest of project.

Go ahead and have a solid rock foundation.

--
H.S.Rai
.Org.Com