Re: [Miles Bader <address@hidden>] fancy-splash & GNU systems

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Miles Bader <address@hidden>] fancy-splash & GNU systems
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:02:40 +0100

 NF> But let me suggest that perhaps the special case is offensive.

It seems to be a statement of fact.  It doesn't say anything about my
system specifically.

 NF> There are no systems (except possibly the Hurd)

I thought Hurd was a kernel.

 NF> composed entirely of GNU software.

I'm surprised, but if some component is necessary that isn't GNU
software, it's surely something that needs fixing.  I don't understand
`GNU software' to mean something written by anyone specific.

I agree with the basic political point, as someone who has been quite
annoyed even to be praised for contributions to `Linux' when slaving
for GNU (much on thankless portability issues unrelated to GNU/Linux).

 NF> Then add a text property to it so that if you click on it, it
 NF> takes you to www.gnu.org

There would be a link from the GNU banner icon if someone had found
time to sort out the event loop to make it work (and probably a link
to etc/LINUX-GNU inter alia).  Look in `command-line-1' if anyone
would like to work on that, and get converted images from me.

 NF> via w3

It should use browse-url.  W3 needs lots of work before we bundle it.