Re: messages while the minibuffer is active

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: messages while the minibuffer is active
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:47:15 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > Basically, when I'm typing, I don't want stuff blatting over what I'm
> > doing unless the system is about to melt down.
>
> Perhaps you want a user option to shut that up.  Don't we have one
> already?

No; I *want to see the messages*.  I just don't want to see them on top
of what I'm doing.

> > Actually, wasn't it the case that emacs 21 used to to resize the
> > minibuffer all the time?
>
> You mean Emacs 20, yes?

No, I mean emacs 21, circa fall '99.

For instance, byte-compiling a file results in a ton of messages, about
half of which take one line and half two, the result being crazy
mode-line dancing like I described.

Now that the echo-area is only shrunken at strategic points, it tends to
grow to a certain size and stay put for a while, which is much less
distracting.

> FWIW, I don't find the resizing itself a problem; I actually quite like
> it.  What I'd like is for the minibuffer to be reset to its one-line size
> as soon as the contents fits that.

Ask gerd to make an option to enable the old behavior I guess...

-Miles