Re: Debian trouble with Info

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Debian trouble with Info
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:19:36 GMT

 KE> IIRC, you must not rename the files.  If the user or sysadmin
 KE> want install several versions of one manual the files have to go
 KE> in a separate directory and you've to set INFOPATH accordingly.

Yes.  That's what I said last time this came up, but nothing has
happened about it in subsequent releases.  This shouldn't require
patching the distribution as at present and so should even make
maintenance easier.

XEmacs uses a separate sub-directory and its search path seems to work
OK internally.  However, INFOPATH isn't frobbed as far as I can tell,
and standalone info doesn't get xrefs right generally for the Emacs
stuff.

[There are other significant problems with the Debian package, I
think.  Probably the only important thing that needs chasing from our
point of view is checking that mail locking works correctly on Debian
in the vanilla Emacs 21 release.  I hope someone else will do that
before I need to...]

 KE> At the moment the programs don't support looking up different
 KE> version at once.  Making this possible would be a nice feature
 KE> but it isn't a high priority wish (IIRC, again).

I don't understand.  Can you give an example?