Re: tool-tip default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:28:49 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>    > No the default GNU Emacs 21.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) does
>    > not display the menu bar.  I just ran `emacs -q' with this morning's
>    > CVS snapshot, Mon, 2000 Nov 6 12:00 UTC, and all it has is the tool bar.
>
>    Have you checked --no-site-file ?
>    Your experience strongly contradicts mine.
>
> Yes, just now:  `emacs -q --no-site-file'  no menu bar.

This is certainly specific to your system's defaults, since startup.el
clearly says:

  ;; If frame was created with a menu bar, set menu-bar-mode on.
  (if (and (not noninteractive)
           (or (not (memq window-system '(x w32)))
               (> (cdr (assq 'menu-bar-lines (frame-parameters))) 0)))
      (menu-bar-mode t))

And since X and W32 frames are created with a menu bar by default (see
frame-notice-user-settings), I don't see any platform that doesn't
have a menu bar by default, unless overridden in one of the umpteen
possible ways.