Re: [BUG] widget :help-echo property different between XEmacs & Emacs

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [BUG] widget :help-echo property different between XEmacs & Emacs
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:21:45 GMT

 WMP> This is incompatible with both the old way of doing things and
 WMP> XEmacs, and made me put the following patch into Emacs/W3.  Ugh.

I don't recall this stuff well, but as far as I remember, the facility
didn't seem to be used anywhere -- I guess I didn't look hard enough
-- and was completely undocumented.  Is there doc for this?  What is
supposed to happen and what would be necessary for XEmacs
compatibility?  I seem to remember that some basic things are
incompatible for one reason or another.  I don't remember whether
we've used :help-echo functions anywhere in Emacs 21.

I'm not sure exactly what this means to implement:

 WMP> Any chance we could get a wrapper put in wid-edit.el
 WMP> (widget-specify-field to be exact)

(Why) should that be different from the button code?

 WMP> to use a generic help-echo function that uses the old behaviour
 WMP> in the case the :help-echo property is not a simple string?

 WMP> There should at least be mention of this in NEWS or the
 WMP> documentation for the widget library.

I agree documentation should exist.  The widget doc has had work done
but doubtless needs more -- I know I've had trouble writing widget
code.  If this does merit a NEWS entry, presumably other additions to
the wid-edit do too, specifically the image stuff which is probably
also incompatible...  Guidance welcome.