Re: strange behavior of customize widget buttons

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: strange behavior of customize widget buttons
Date: 23 Nov 2000 20:17:24 +0000

Gerd Moellmann <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Eli Tziperman) writes:
>
> > In GNU Emacs 21.0.91.1 (mips-sgi-irix6.5, X toolkit)
> >  of Wed 2000-11-22 on beach
> >
> > 1) % /usr/local/emacs-21.0.91/src/emacs -q --no-site-file
> >
> > 2) click on options -> customize emacs -> top level customization group
> >
> > 3) click left mouse button on one of the "go to group" buttons
> >    (e.g. "Editing"), and LEAVE IT PRESSED.
> >
> > 4) all buttons on the page change shape as if they were pressed.  that
> >    seems like the wrong behavior.  Also, keeping the mouse button
> >    pressed a bit more, the widget buttons start blinking together with
> >    the cursor...
>
> Thanks, Eli.
>
> I'm afraid I can't reproduce this here.  Can someone else?

I managed to reproduce the blinking in a running Emacs (with my init
files loaded) on Solaris. The buttons do not change to "pushed", the
borders of the buttons inherit the cursor (as a pressed button) border
colors. This was obvious to me, as my cursor is orange, but with the
default black cursor, it might appear that all the buttons were
showing as pressed.

I could not reproduce this on a fresh Emacs, with or without my init
files loaded. I tried various things that I might have done in the
previous session that made this behaviour happen, but could still not
reproduce it again.

While I was investigating this, I got a core dump, which appeared to
be somewhere in Fx_popup_menu (I forgot to bring the full stack trace
home from work). In the stack trace there was a Signal 14, followed by
a Signal 9, which caused a terminate with SEGV.

--
Jason Rumney <address@hidden>