Re: <backspace> and DEL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: <backspace> and DEL
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:19:18 +0200 (IST)

On 11 Jan 2001, Sam Steingold wrote:

> I want my backspace key (the one to the right of "+=") to invoke
> `backward-delete-char-untabify' in all modes.
> Unfortunately,
>  lisp-mode.el binds <backspace> to `delete-backward-char' and
>                     DEL to `backward-delete-char-untabify', while
>  cc-langs.el binds <backspace> to `c-electric-backspace' (which DTRT) and
>                    DEL to `delete-backward-char'.
> This inconsistency is extremely annoying: there is no way to customize
> emacs to always untabify on backspace.

I see that you already changed emacs-lisp.el to bind <backspace> where
DEL is bound.

Is it possible in the future, when you start some discussion here, to
wait until the discussion is concluded with some kind of consensus, or
with a decision by Gerd, before committing changes?  Otherwise, what
is the point of starting a discussion in the first place?

As it happens, Richard Stallman suggested (on emacs-pretest-bug) a
different solution to the same problem, that will solve all the adverse
effects of the global binding of <backspace> in one swell whoop.  If
Richard's suggestion is taken, your change in emacs-lisp.el is
unnecessary.

This mailing list was created so that the development could become a
more cooperative process.  If we want that to happen, we sometimes
will need to refrain from immediate commits in order to let people
express their views on the subject.