Re: <backspace> and DEL

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: <backspace> and DEL
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:36:02 -0500

>  SM> I sure hope users are not *supposed* to do all their
>  SM> customizations via customize.
> Presumably not, partly because they can't (e.g. keybindings).  I think
> it should be commended, though.

I completely agree that `custom' should be advertised to make sure users
know about it.  But once they do, I'd rather advertise real elisp such as
`setq' and `add-hook'.

>  SM> That would keep them from learning more about their tool and
>  SM> getting more actively involved in its evolution.
> How come?  It seems to me to be a decent way of learning about the
> tool's options and I don't see how it would stop the unprejudiced
> getting involved.  I use Custom generally.

Clicking on buttons will never teach them how to write/understand elisp.
And reading the atrocious code generated by `custom' won't either
since it doesn't even use `setq' like everybody else.

How many times have you seen a post on gnu.emacs.help saying
to add (custom-set-variables '(foobar t)) to their .emacs ?

`custom' should be fixed to generate "real" elisp code (i.e. as close
as possible to what an experienced user would write).
But I can't really complain since it's been on my todo list for
years and I still haven't done anything about it.

        Stefan